We handle the full range of estate planning concerns.
Most people don’t consider themselves owners of an “estate,” but everyone has one. No matter how big or how modest, an estate consists of everything you own, such as your:
- Home and other real estate
- Checking and savings accounts
- Personal possessions
- Anything of value such as antiques or coin collections
And since you can’t take them with you, it’s wise to have a plan for what happens to all of it after you pass away. If you don’t have a plan, the state will make a plan for you and it might not be what you want!
Keeping the state out of your business is called Estate Planning, and the attorneys at Donald Law Office can help you create one.
What is Estate Planning?
Estate planning refers to all of the different ways you can plan what happens to your belongings when you are unable to take care of things yourself, or in the event of your death.
Components of Estate Planning include:
- Will – a legal document that specifies your wishes regarding your assets and dependent children
- Advanced Health Care Directives – documents outlining your healthcare wishes, such as a Living Will and Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare
- Power of Attorney – a legal document that names someone to handle your financial affairs and decisions while you are living.
- Disability Considerations – planning in case an injury keeps you from being able to manage your own affairs
- Long Term Care Considerations – finding ways to help you pay for long term care services if you suffer from an illness or injury
- Life Insurance – helping make sure your life insurance goes where you want it to go upon your death
- Asset Protection – a plan to protect your assets and estate in the event of bankruptcy, a lawsuit, or even a nursing home
- Other Arrangements – such as naming a guardian of your children or arranging care for a special needs dependent
How Donald Law Office Can Help
Many people put off estate planning because they don’t like to think about it, they think their assets are too small, or they don’t know who they can trust.
Your peace of mind is our priority. Donald Law Office will walk you through your options, navigate estate tax if it’s applicable, and ensure you have the coverage in place that you need.
We’ll explain the legal jargon in a way you can understand—as many times as you need it—so you can make an informed, confident decision.
Estate planning is an ongoing process that will need to be updated as your life changes. We’re in it for the long haul. We want long term relationships, not just transactions with clients!
Contact us for an initial consultation, and we will help you create the estate plan that’s right for you.
Get the latest on legal topics that affect you and your family, office happenings, staff spotlights, workshop updates, and more in our free monthly newsletter.
We are pleased to offer a variety of educational workshops to the general public. Check out our workshop calendar and reserve your space today.